Deployment of the O365 in environment where Distribution tools are not available we can go with Group policies for initiating installation of O365 Products
Click-to-Run is available for the following products from Office 365:
Office 365 ProPlus
Visio Pro for Office 365
Project Pro for Office 365
SharePoint Designer 2013
Lync 2013 Basic
The products that are available to you depend on your Office 365 subscription.
Click-to-Run is also available for the following retail products:
Office Professional 2013
Office Home and Business 2013
Office Home and Student 2013
Step1: Download Office Deployment Tool HERE
- Save the downloaded files on one of the drives on your system
You will get one XML file and Setup.exe
Step2: Customise XML to provide the installation instructions
- Customise the XML for downloading .
- SourcePath indicates the location to save the Click-to-Run installation source when you run the Office Deployment Tool in download mode.
- Version is optional , if it left blank latest version of he O365 will be downloaded
- OfficeClientEdition indicates to download 32 bit or 64 bit
- ExcludeApp ID optional attribute indicates to exclude any of the elements/features ex – Access add a line as below after language ID
<ExcludeApp ID="Access" />
<Add SourcePath="\\server\share\" Version="184.108.40.206" OfficeClientEdition="32">
If Office 365 ProPlus and Visio Pro for Office 365 in English (US), Spanish, and Japanese are required copy below code.
<Add SourcePath="\\Server\share" Version="220.127.116.11" OfficeClientEdition="32">
Step3: Download source for Office 365 products and languages to an on premise location
- To download source with configured XML open the command prompt with elevated privileges and run the setup.exe with xml
\\server\share\setup.exe /download \\server\share\CustomC2RConfig.xml
- once download completes it will have new folder office
Step4: Configure XML for installing , removing Click-to-Run for Office 365 products and languages, and applies any options as required
Note : /packager and /configure. To run these modes you must have elevated privileges or an administrator command prompt.
\\server\share\setup.exe /configure \\server\share\CustomConfig.xml
- Deployment XML should be configured as per settings configured for download XML, If downloaded source is for 32 bit deployment XML should be configured for 32 bit or else deployment will fail.
- As organisational standards Product updates will be applied only after testing and approved by experts Ex : Lync is being upgraded to Skype for business Reference by sending the updates to disable the auto updates add line add below line after Display level
<Updates Enabled="FALSE" />
- To receive the updates and enable auto updates you should add below line after Display level
<Updates Enabled="TRUE" UpdatePath="\\Server\Share" />
- An installation or removal action may be blocked if Office applications are running. Normally, such cases would start a process killer UI. Administrators can set FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN value to TRUE to prevent dependence on user interaction. When FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN is set to TRUE, any applications that block the action will be shut down. Data loss may occur
<Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN " Value="TRUE" />
The code in the following Click-to-Run CustomConfig.xml file example specifies to install 32-bit Office 365 ProPlus and Visio Pro for Office 365 in English (US). It sets updates to Enabled, and uses an alternative source. It also sets Display Level to None, and accepts the end user licensing agreement.
Step5: Setting up of Group Policies for deployment
Will be publishing in next blog